It's a snowy, cold, grey day in the city of Toronto and I'm wondering when spring will arrive. And the funny thing is winter just begun! Maybe we'll be lucky and have a short winter! To pick my spirits up I decided to list all the beauty trends coming our way for Spring 2007. Hope this brings your spirits up too!
1. As seen on the runways of YSL, Gucci, Carolina Herrara, and Narciso Rodriguez the little black liner has made a return. But then again did it ever leave? The khol rimmed eyes are the focus of this look leaving the skin flawless and bare with just a touch of bronzer on the hollows of the cheeks paired with a pink (I think everyone's getting tired of beige) nude lip.
To recreate this look line the eyes with M.A.C.'s eye khol in Smolder or for a more refined look try M.A.C.'s waterproof Liquid Last Liner in Point Black. Dust the cheeks with a matte bronzer like Benefit's Hoola. To finish the look off, try M.A.C.'s lipglass in Underage and for a matte lip try M.A.C.'s lipstick in Blankety.
2. It was all about flawless, natural skin and groomed brows on the runways of Giorgio Armani, Balenciaga, and Ralph Lauren.
To recreate use a tinted moisturizer like Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20. If you're not so blessed with perfect skin and need something heavier try Cargo's OneBase. It's actually a foundation/concealer designed to be applied only where you need it like under the eyes, around the nose, chin and forehead. If you have oilier skin do a light dusting of translucent loose powder like M.A.C.'s Loose Blot Powder. Comb the brows up with an eyebrow brush and pluck away any strays. Use a clear brow set like M.A.C.'s new Brow Finisher in clear to keep it in place and give it a clean look. Polish it off with a little bit of lip balm like Sephora's Superstars-Supershield Lip Saver SPF 15.
3. In contrast to the natural face, the smoke alert was on high on the runways of Behnaz Sarafpour, Roberto Cavalli, Donna Karen, Christian Lacroix, Versace, and our beloved Canadian designers DSquared2. There were varying degrees of the smokiness, from subtle to dramatic eyes emphasized with full lushes lashes. The smokey eye came in all different colours like chocolate brown, metallic khaki greens, bronzy coppers, and of course black with gold highlighting the inner corners of the eye. Again the cheeks had a hint of bronzer and lips a pale pink.
To recreate this look try Too Faced's Glamour Eyes Palette. The super kit contains every single eyeshadow and duo shadow Too Faced has ever made which means you can do the smokey eye in whatever colour your heart desires! To finish off the lashes curl them and use a mascara that gives you volume like Dior's Diorshow Mascara. To add a bit more drama (everyone needs a little drama!), glue fake lashes like M.A.C.'s # 7's to the outer edge of your eye. Now that nude pink is the new nude beige try N.A.R.'s Turkish Delight to complete the look.
4. The lips take center stage at Marc by Marc Jacobs, Peter Som, Derek Lim, and Diane Von Furstenberg. From striking zinc pinks to bold oranges these models did not go unnoticed. For a more natural look try Cargo's new Purse Gloss in Chicago, a shimmering bright pink and Smashbox's lipgloss in Click , a sheer vibrant orange.
5.A fresh take on the eyes was seen on the runways of Missoni, J. Mendel, and Costello Tagliapietra in a beautiful amber copper. This colour seems to compliment every skin tone. It almost looks like a beautiful sunset on the eyes. Again the skin was kept bare with a touch of bronzer in the hollows of the cheek and a pale nude lip.
To recreate this look try M.A.C.'s eyeshadow in Amber Lights or for a more sheer version try Nars' cream shadow in El Dorado, a shimmery golden bronze, or Granada, a shimmery ginger.
6.The season wouldn't be complete without a fresh pink flush on the cheeks. The girls at 3.1 Phillip Lim, Stella, and Michael Kors definitely looked radiant. This look can be worn anytime of the day. To give the look a more sophisticated feel and avoid looking too girly the blush is focused more on the outer part of the cheek towards the hairline rather than the apples of the cheek. Chocolate brown eye shadow was smudged into the lash line and for a softer look gold shadow was placed in the inner corner of the eyes and lower lash line. The look was topped off with a soft pink gloss or lipstick.
To recreate try Lorac's new Cheek Stamp in Hibiscus (glimmering rose) for fairer skin and Pink Paradise (vibrant pink) for darker skin tones. It comes with a built in sponge that "stamps" the skin to give you the perfect flush. It's also great for anyone on the go. For the eyes try Bare Essentials mineral eye shadows in Meet the Browns eye kit. For the perfect soft pink lip try Cargo's new lipsticks Plant Love Botanical Lipstick in Lindsay a sheer pink cream that was created by none other than the party girl herself Lindsay Lohan. Not only is this lipstick environmentally friendly but Cargo is donating two dollars from the sale of every shade to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital! No need to feel guilty about buying more than one.
7. The models at Valentino and Tuleh looked sexy and flirty with the classic red lips, black liquid liner, flirty lashes and perfectly coiffed hair pulled tightly back. Tuleh went for a much bolder version of the classic look by matching the bright red lip with a deep pink rouge on the hollows of the cheek and the outer part of the eye up to the brow bone. Valentino's version was the perfect amount of glamour; silver shadow was swept on the lids, black liquid liner was thinly applied, and the lashes were extra flirty with fake lashes added to the outer corner. The cheeks had a beautiful pink glow to them and the lips were softly stained with red lipstick. What really made the look was the double head bed in red. It's the perfect look for a special event or a night on the town.
To recreate try Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl (siren red) for fairer skin and Forbidden Red (brick red) for darker skin. It goes on creamy, never drying out your lips and stays put all day. Duwop has the perfect kit for the eyes called Gray Eyes. It includes different shades of silver and gray and comes complete with a black cream liner! For flirty lashes try Benefit's Get Bent Mascara and add a few fake lashes to the outer edge like Sephora's Flirt It Lash Duo. To keep in line with the classic look pull your hair back into a sleek bun or pony tail and place a head band just after where the hair line starts. Check out Aldo
for some fantastic hair accessories.
8.Do try a shimmer on one feature of the face as seen on the runways of Alberta Ferritti and Zac Posen. Shimmery silver shadow was swept across the lid with a bit of colour on the outer part of the crease. The rest of the face was kept natural with a bit of bronzer in the hollows of the cheek and the lips had a more satin finish than glossy and were kept nude.
To recreate this look try Pout's Metallic Eyes crayon shadow in Silver Shimmer and mix a bit of colour on the outer edge of the eye with Make Up For Ever's Diamond Powder in Purple 10 a violet shimmer. For the lips and cheeks try Stila's new bestselling Convertible Colour Duo in Lillium/Gerbera, a muted rose and light peach. Both can be worn on the lips and cheeks.
9. It was all about bold colours on the runways of Jovovich-Hawk, Anna Sui, and Emanuel Ungaro. Colour wasn't just applied on one area of the face; it was on the eyes, lips, and cheeks ranging in vibrant hues of purple, pink, and peacock blues. Too much colour for the day time? Maybe, but if you just can't get away from the bright spring colours wear it only on one area of the face. For night time, if you can carry off the look, try all three together and have fun. Just be sure to blend, blend, blend! And go for something sheer and shimmery if you're going to try all three together.
To recreate this look try any of the vibrant gorgeous shadows from Urban Decay's Decay Deluxe eyeshadow line. The pigments are intense and the texture is silky to the touch. Give your cheeks the perfect spring flush with Pop Beauty's Blush Cake, a multi-toned blush that comes in Pretty in Pink, Natural Nudes, and Warm in Sienna. For a pretty pout try Lorac's new Mocktail glosses in Tequila Sunrise (glimmering tangerine) or one of my favourite summer drinks Sex on the Beach (fuchsia). They smell just like the tropical drinks they're named after!
10. Bronzer to me should be apart of every woman's beauty regime. It not only gives your skin a warm healthy glow, but it gives the illusion that you've been away at some hot exotic location far, far away. Do apply your bronzer on the high planes of the face: forehead, bridge of nose, cheeks, and chin as seen backstage at Alessandro Dell ' Acqua (left picture). Don't apply the bronzer all over and two shades too dark as seen at Moschino's (right picture). Do choose a bronzer that has more of a golden tone and not one that will make your skin look orange.
To recreate a beautiful bronzed complexion try Stila's bronzer Stila Sun. They come in 3 golden shades to pick from. For a more softer effect try Benefit's new bronzer duo 10. It includes a light pink highlighter, bronze shimmer, and brush in one. Simply take the brush and swipe (don't swirl!) up and down and apply onto the cheekbones with the pink highlighter on the top and bronze shade on the bottom. It's bronzer made easy!
That rounds the Top 10 for the Spring beauty looks. Of course these are just guidelines. Have fun and see what works best for you. If you're tired of your same beauty routine try something new. Happy shopping!
To view more from Fashion Week Spring 2007 visit Style.com