Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Beauty Review: Bright Eyes and Pouty Lips!

Benefit is known for easy-to-use fix-its to achieving that flawless face we all strive for. It's no wonder makeup artist, Carmindy (who I met and took a picture with last month at Sephora! I'll save that for another post), from TLC's "What Not To Wear" has been made the spokesperson for Benefit's Eye Bright Pencil and a few other products from the line. Carmindy has used this magical pencil time and time again on the makeover victims of "What Not To Wear" which had left them looking bright eyed and youthful.

I was curious to try this little wonder out so I picked one up and tested it as soon as I got home. Eye Bright promises to hide the I-was-partying-way-too-late-last-night look and make you appear awake and alert instantly. I dabbed the soft pink pencil in the corner of my eyes and on the outer corner just like the instructions said to. I even drew a line where my dark circles are just like Carmindy does on the show. After I blended (you don't want to overblend by the way), the end result was not pretty. The soft pink casted a grey shadow on my skin and made me look ashy! However, when I tried it on a girlfriend of mine who is fair skinned it looked wonderful! Conclusion: fab find for my fair skinned friends but not for me and anyone else who has darker skin. Maybe Benefit could create an Eye Bright in a soft peach shade for people with medium-dark to dark-skinned people? Who else is with me?? lol

I love Benefit's Lip Plump for many reasons: it's a great lip primer, fills in lines giving lips a smooth appearance, allows you to contour and shape the lips for a poutier effect without the annoying tingling sensation other lip plumpers give, and can be used to cancel redness in the lips so you can wear any lip colour your heart desires! I've used it on many women who have never been able to wear light colours because of the redness in their lips and after using Lip Plump they were hooked! I also use it on set and it keeps the lip colour on all day without flaking or getting cakey. A little goes a long way and you only need 3 little dabs on the lips. Pat into lips and wait a few minutes before applying lip colour. It's a definite fab find for anyone! Happy shopping!

7 comments:

yummy411 said...

thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I find that problem with many of Benefit's products - they don't take into account the needs of darker-skinned women.

Anonymous said...

i think its the way ur applying it, cause i use it on my sister whos has dark skin more of a chocolate skin tone and ive seen carmindy use it on a black woman, i think its just the way u applied it...

Make-up Junkie said...

Hi Anonymous,
Thank you for your input. I'm pretty sure I'm applying it the right way because there's really not much to it, however, I'd love to hear how you applied it. You can't just say I'm wrong and then give us no solution haha. We want to know your secret! ;)

Make-up Junkie said...

Hey Toya!
I agree with you. It's a hit or miss sometimes with Benefit when it comes to darker skinned women. They have some great quick-fixes but not everyone can use them. But I still love some of their products - just wish they would come out with more products for every skin tone.

Ali said...

I love this stuff. I'm a lip licker and my lipstick stays put with this. I also have a lot of natural color in my lips so this is a good neutraliser.

Anonymous said...

The eye bright did work for me, but I do have to ensure that I have applied my eyecream first or sometimes it makes the area around my eyes look a little chalky.