Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Beauty Review: Lovin' L'Oreal!

In a previous post, I mentioned that I had a slew of products to review. The time has finally come for me to get back to makeup!! Starting Round 1 of my beauty reviews are a few products from L'Oreal that have nestled into my main makeup bag (yes, I have more than one makeup bag!) and some that were given the boot. Here goes:



1. L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara: I love LOVE this mascara! I think the last mascara I reviewed was Benefit's Get Bent which I hate to admit was a disappointment. It got the boot after a few weeks. I was so in love when I originally purchased it and was heartbroken when day after day it smudged, weighed my lashes down and the brush got clumpier and clumpier with every use. I finally decided that it was time to stop fighting a water-proof formula because it is the only thing that makes these straight lashes curl and all day! I tried a few brands until I made my way down my list to L'Oreal's Voluminous mascara. My decision was also influenced by my interview with Billy B. back in July hehe. It doesn't smudge, smear, and gives the fullest lash without any clumps even after 2 or 3 coats! Hooray! It's inexpensive and gives the higher end brands a run for their money. Whenever it goes on sale I rush to the store and stock up! This mascara has definitely healed my broken heart!

2. L'Oreal Gentle Waterproof Eye and Lip Makeup Remover: If you're going to use a water-proof formula then you have to use a water-proof eye makeup remover. It was actually by chance that I picked this one up on a hurried shopping day. I was kind of surprised that there were few brands at the drugstore that carried a water-proof EMUR or maybe I missed some in my hastiness. This remover is a combo of blue oil and clear lotion. Shake the bottle and it becomes one remover that takes water-proof makeup easy without irritation or oiliness. What I also love is that you can use it to remove those long-lasting lip colours. Who doesn't love a 2 in 1 product?


3. L'Oreal Colour Juice Sheer Lip Gloss in Watermelon Crush: In a hurry to get to a baby shower I forgot to pack my Smashbox Lip Enhancing Gloss in Beauty a pinky-melon shade. I was in the mood for pink that day. While waiting for my friend at the subway station, I decided to make a trip to the drugstore to see if an inexpensive gloss would catch my eye. I scanned a few brands and of course landed in the L'Oreal section. I fell in love with all the colours but Watermelon Crush really caught my eye (ok a few caught my eye). It's a really nice pink-melon shade with gold undertones in it. The gloss gives a nice pop of colour, the right amount of shine, and is pretty moisturizing. I was expecting it to be really tacky but it wasn't at all. And you know me and scented products, I just couldn't resist. It's a wearable pink for anytime of the day. There's a few more on my list that I'd like to get and for under $10 a pop why not??

L'oreal's "Meh" Products:

There are a couple products that were ok but something I wouldn't keep in my main makeup bag. They weren't horrible, they were just "meh".

1. L'Oreal Bare Naturale Gentle Mineral Blush: I received this in my swag bag at fashionweek and was excited to try out this fairly new product. I've recently jumped on the band wagon and have bought some mineral products so I thought this would be another one to add to the bag. The colour I received was Pinched Pink which is a soft neutral pink blush. The applicator felt a little awkward to apply the blush with but I did like how you could buff the blush on. The blush has a nice luminous effect and gives the skin a glow. I had to swirl it on a few times to get some colour even though it says a little goes a long way. Not in my case. It's nice for fairer skin tones and for women who like a little blush and want it really natural. I wore it once during fashionweek and by the end of the night it looked like all colour had been drained from my face! It didn't last as long and made my cheeks look greasy instead of luminous. Ah well, you can't win them all! Anyone else have a better experience?

2. L'Oreal Infallible Lip Colour: If you haven't seen this product, it'll definitely catch your eye. One side is the lip colour and the other side is the long-lasting top coat all encased with a mirror on the outside. Cool right? If you like long-wear lip colours then try it out. I personally am not a fan of long-wear colours because I tend to have dryer lips than most. The moisturizing top coat felt more cakey than moisturizing. I forgot the colour I received but remembered it was a light frosty pink (gave this away of course). I was expecting a rich colour but it went on a lot sheerer than I expected. Not even a half hour went by and my lips were dry and cracked. I didn't really give it a fair chance in the lasting department because I ate something oily right after and came right off. However, I know someone that had an opposite experience and the colour looked rich and lasted a while. The colour was also really nice on her (I think it was Amethyst). I know this is wrong, but I ponded it off on my bestfriend! I really did think the colour would suit her better and I was hoping she would have a nicer experience! I'll have to ask her and get back to you!

Alright makeup junkies, that does it for Round 1 of my beauty reviews! Stay tuned for more goodies! Happy shopping!

All products can be viewed at http://www.lorealparis.ca/

3 comments:

Claire said...

L'Oreal - so near and dear to my heart, and I just have to comment.

Voluminous Mascara: I adore this product! I've tried quite a few other brands (mainly drugstore variety) and have found nothing that even comes close. Since I'm not willing to pay for high-end makeup, I find this to be a wonderful compromise.

Infallible Lipstick: You are right about this product; however, I have been using it for a week or so and discovered that if you periodically reapply the conditioning gloss, it will rehydrate your lipstick and lips and almost give it that "freshly applied" look. So much better than the all-day lipsticks they came out with years ago! I use the Amethyst color find it quite flattering.

Bare Minerals Blush: I notice you have to be more careful with this than the foundation powder. Also, I hate the applicator. But when I use my preferred brush this product works wonderfully and I have no problem with break-outs.

My $0.02!

Make-up Junkie said...

Mamaluv!

Thanks for your input and tips ;) I tend to have chronically dry lips so the conditioner just didn't work for me but I knew it worked for you. I was actually writing about you and the Amethyst colour hehe.

Claire said...

lol - that's what I thought!