Thursday, February 14, 2008

Beauty Review: Kissable Reds For Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day! V-Day isn't just for lovers so give some hugs and kisses to your bestest friends and family! But if you're looking to give those smackers some serious attention here are some juicy reds I alternate between that'll make those lips look their most kissable!

M.A.C. Cremestick Liner in Red Enriched (in pic Enriched Red oops!): If you're going to do a red lip you'll want to make sure you line your lips to prevent feathering or bleeding. Start at the bow of the lip and work outwards to get the most precise shape. I love a lot of M.A.C. lip liners but this is one of my favourites. I love how creamy these liners apply to the lip - no tugging and easily applies over the entire lip. I've even used this on its own with a bit of balm. Red Enriched goes best with warmer reds but I've used it with bluer based reds. The only negative is that the retractable liners don't last as long as a pencil, but the creaminess and longevity makes it a must-have.


C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Tint Red: I'm addicted to lip balms and have close to 20 hanging around my house and various purses. I love tinted lip balms even more. These balms come in handy little tubes and impart sheer colour with high shine leaving your lips super moisturized and your breath smelling fresh. Perfect on its own or over your favourite red lipstick.




M.A.C. Lipgelee in Dewy Jube: I love these glosses because they are so super smooth and they give just enough colour. Dewy Jube is one of my favourites from the line (I definitely prefer these over M.A.C.'s lip glasses). It's a pretty cherry-pink that gives the lips a juicy pop of colour. This would look pretty with some shimmery shadow and soft pink blush.



M.A.C. Lustreglass in Venetian: Also another favourite of mine, Venetian is a gorgeous cherry red with gold flecks in it (I used this on-set "Where'd You Get That?" on host Ali from Chick Advisor). The difference between Lustreglass and Lipgelee is that these colours give the lips more colour and stay on a bit longer. This is one colour that looks beautiful all year round - especially looks great with bronzy skin. The only thing I hate about these glosses is that they are sticky and leave a white crust on my inner lips - yuck. But the colour gets me everytime!

Loose Lips NY Hint of Mint Lip Gloss in Mint Cherry: I received the purse size version and it has become one of my go-to glosses when I'm in a hurry for a glam night out. This gloss has some serious shine, colour and also freshens the breath (needed for those close encounters hehe)! The colour goes on like a full colour lipstick but the glossy texture doesn't overpower the lips.








Pink Beauty Luscious Lip Sheer Lipstick in Elsie: I know, I've given this rave reviews many times on my blog but I can't help it! This is one of the most wearable reds because the colour is so buildable. Elsie looks warm against my skin but looks cooler on fairer skin tones. Besides the vintage feel and adorable packaging, I just love how moisturized my lips feel. And even though it's sheer, the colour stays on a while leaving a nice stain on the lips.





M.A.C. Lipstick in M.A.C. Red: Classic. Besides other classics Ruby Woo and Russian Red, M.A.C. Red has a satin finish rather than matte. This is a great blue based red perfect for fairer or olive skin tones. The colour is intense and long-lasting.




M.A.C. Pro Longwear Lipcolour in Alta Moda: I think this colour has been discontinued which is too bad because it's a beautiful deep reddish-brown. If you hate reapplying your lip colour throughout the day, then the Pro Longwear's are perfect. These lippies will outlast any smooch and still be on the next day (this theory may have been tested ;). Also works great as a stain but if you have dry lips like me, your lips will end up getting crusty even with the gloss top coat. But if you have no lip issues then lucky you!


Estee Lauder Signature Hydra Lustre Lipstick in Rich Red: This super creamy lipstick has long-lasting moisture and intense colour. What's more to love is the luxurious signature gold packaging it comes in perfectly worthy of a public appearance. It's a gorgeous warm red with little gold flecks.







M.A.C. Matte Lipstick in Diva: When I want all eyes on my lips, I turn to my lovely Diva lipstick from M.A.C. I love the intense burgundy red colour and the matte yet creamy texture. I also love this as a stain which I pat lightly onto my lips with my finger. My lips look like they have enjoyed a few glasses of red wine. I also love dabbing a bit of gold gloss to the center of the lips for some dimension and poutiness. I'd normally recommend a soft eye with this lippie, but don't be afraid to smudge a bit of black liner or shadow around the eye. Think 1920's Clara Bow and add lots of shimmer to the cheekbones for some serious glamour.

What are some of your favourite red lippies? What are your V-Day plans? I'd love to hear about them! Happy shopping! xoxo

No comments: