1. Why did you start your blog The Beauty of Life?
I had already broken into the beauty world by writing for some smaller websites and magazines, but I really wanted to get more writing experience and put my own spin on things. I'm always trying so many products and spa treatments -- I thought it would be fun to have a creative outlet in which to discuss my opinions!
2. What is the story behind the name?
When I started thinking about names, the movie "Life is Beautiful" came into my head. And I really did think about how beautiful life is, and how much more beautiful it becomes through beauty products! So I just turned the name around a bit, and voila! The Beauty of Life was born.
3. What is your full-time job?
I work full-time as the Copywriter for RalphLauren.com. I get to look at pretty clothing all day and write about it -- not too shabby! :)
4. How do you decide on what you'd like to blog about?
I literally try out at least 20 products a day. I base what gets reviewed on how amazing I think the product is. If I try it and am literally hooked after only one use, it will of course get a post! While I do receive samples from my PR contacts to review as well, I never review anything unless I really stand behind it and have tried it to see whether it's worthy of being talked about! That being said, the majority of my reviews are about makeup and skincare products -- I just can't get enough! I could write a different lipgloss post every day and still have more to discuss!
5. In all the beauty reviews you've done, has there been a breakthrough product that you can't live without anymore?
There are five that I seriously can't live without actually!
1) Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv Youth Creme -- each time I put this rich cream on my skin, it gets rid of any dryness immediately and makes me look like I just got a facial!
2) Stila Lip Glaze in Starfruit -- my all-time favorite lipgloss. The coral color is perfect for either day or evening, it lasts for hours, and it's not sticky or tacky!
3) T3 Medium Duality -- I have no idea how my hair survived before finding this flat iron. Now I have straight, sleek, shiny hair every day and it only takes me 10 minutes!
4) Frederic Fekkai Coiff Perfecteur Anti-Frizz Silkening Creme -- On days when I don't use this, you can definitely tell. My hair just is so much shinier and straighter after using this!
5) Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Blackest Black -- No other mascara coats my lashes as well, makes them look as long and lush, or has the same staying power. And I love that it's under $10!
6. What has been the most exciting experience for you since you started your blog?
There have been so many great experiences! Definitely my first Fashion Week (Spring 2008) was amazing. I got into some really fantastic shows and even snagged front row at a few of them! And attending the Henri Bendel Spring 2008 Beauty Breakfast was so awesome ... I had wanted to go for about 6 years, so to finally get invited was a major coup!
7. Do you wear makeup on daily basis and if so what are your everyday beauty staples?
I try to at least wear a moisturizer (again, Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv Youth Creme is amazing!). I honestly never wear concealer, foundation or bronzer -- my skin is so sensitive that I break out if I get within 10 feet of the stuff! If I'm really running late, I just swipe my brows with Anastasia's Brow Gel and go. But if I have an extra few minutes, I line my eyes with M.A.C Eye Pencil in Ebony, sweep Stila Eye Shadow in either Ray or Summer over my lids, and choose from my horribly overstocked stash of lipglosses (usually Stila Lip Glaze in Star Fruit, Chanel Glossimer in Imaginaire or Clinique Full Potential Lips Plump and Shine in Peach Plump) to slick over my lips after applying a coat of Bonne Bell LipSmackers! I also never leave the house without spritzing myself with Ralph Lauren Romance.
8. What are some other beauties of life that you love to enjoy besides beauty products?
I love that question! I love to sing -- I was in a ton of community theater shows growing up, but now it's just relegated to singing along with my mp3s and attending tons of Broadway shows! :) I also love reading, hanging out with friends and family, shopping and traveling. And in whatever spare time is left, I like to sleep! :)
9. Finish this sentence: Jamie is _dedicated, motivated and loves to smile!
10. Fun facts:
- music you're really diggin' right now?
Harry Connick Jr., my brother Evan Sanders (he's an amazingly talented musician), anything Broadway, Take 6, the Carpenters, the Beatles, 60s and 70s rock, Michael Jackson (old-school), Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Sara Bareilles, Corinne Bailey Rae
- favourite magazine?
Teen Vogue, Lucky, Glamour, Seventeen, Real Simple
- guilty pleasures?
reading magazines the second they arrive in my mailbox, reading tons of beauty blogs while I should be working, sleeping late on the weekends, watching more reality TV than I'd like to admit
- pet peeves?
people who walk too slowly on New York Streets! Come on people, I gotta get to work!
- school girl crush?
I am totally crushing on Zac Efron!
- celebrity style you admire?
I admire Diane Keaton for finding a style that works for her and sticking to it for all these years. And as far as designers go, Carolina Herrera is just always impeccable!
- favourite food?
Chinese, Italian and anything chocolate definitely top my list!
Thanks Jamie! I love learning about the people behind the blogs and I think it's great how she features other bloggers on her site. I'd like to start something like this as well! Now that you know more about Jamie don't forget to check out her fantastic blog The Beauty of Life!