Sunday, April 13, 2008

Beauty Review: Maybelline Mineral Power!

I think the last time I used drugstore brand face products was back in high school. Formulations have definitely changed since then, especially since we've entered the era of mineral makeup. Maybelline is the latest cosmetic giant to expand the brand's line to include a mineral collection, Mineral Power, which includes concealer, loose powder foundation, liquid foundation, finishing powder and loose powder blush. Surprisingly, the majority of the products did not disappoint! The quality rivals some of the higher end brands. Check out my reviews from ChickAdvisor.com!




This was my favourite of the bunch! I was VERY surprised how amazing the quality was. I prefer this one over the loose powder because the coverage is a bit heavier. Like others have said a little goes a long way. It has a creamy consistency and blends beautifully onto the skin. I've tried many foundations and this one is right up there with my favourite Face Atelier! Pretty much the same consistency and your skin looks amazing! I also like that it doesn't feel like you're wearing a lot of makeup. I chose Honey Beige and it matched my skin perfectly. Works really well under the loose foundation powder. It's also long-lasting and lasted through a sweaty workout! It would be perfect if it had an SPF but since my skin is sensitive to some SPF products I prefer to use separate sun protection that I know works with my skin. The plastic squeeze tube also makes it easier for transporting. For makeup artists building their kit I'd definitely stock up on these foundations. It's inexpensive, very transportable, and the range of colours is fairly decent. When I run out of this one and my higher end ones I may have to pick up another one of these!




I definitely prefer this over Bare Escentuals brand for many reasons. It doesn't make my skin look shiny and oily, doesn't make my skin itch (no SPF - sometimes it agrees with me sometimes it doesn't), and the diameter of the case is big enough for a proper mineral buffer. It has a light-medium coverage which gives a natural finish. I prefer something with a bit more coverage though. I decided to use it as a finisher over the liquid version and it worked wonderfully together! It's long-lasting and lasted through a sweaty workout! The colour I chose was Honey Beige and I was pleasantly surprised that it matched my skin perfectly. Doesn't look chalky and gives the skin a luminous glow. I'd recommend it!





I chose to get the bronzer as the finishing powder. I was really curious to see how good Maybelline's bronze coloured powder would be. I really love the golden hue - no orange mess here! Plus, the pigment is strong so you can afford to use a light hand. I also love the texture. The powder is silky smooth and blends easily on the skin. The mineral texture makes my skin look luminous. It also has great staying power - it lasted through a sweaty workout! I swear lol. The packaging is sleek and has a convenient slide compartment for your sponge - perfect so it won't get dirty. But I wouldn't use the sponge for the bronzer - always use a big powder brush for a natural effect. If you're in the market for a bronzer it's a really inexpensive quality bronzer!





I chose the True Peach shade and I was really happy it was a true peach shade and not peachy-pink. I prefer a pressed powder blush but I loved how natural the blush looked. It's definitely buildable so you can keep applying until the desired colour. The little brush kind of irritates my skin so I prefer to use a real blush brush. You definitely need to tap it off in the container before applying because the brush can grab a lot of product. If you buff it into the skin it looks like the colour is coming from underneath the skin. I love how healthy and radiant the colour makes me. I'd definitely recommend it for those who love mineral blushes or love loose powders.





This was my least favourite product from the line. I chose Medium Beige seeing how that was the second last dark shade and it was still too light for me. It didn't give me a greyish hue, however, but rather the white raccooned look. But once I applied a more yellowy concealer over top it neutralized it a bit more. The coverage I'd say was med-full. I found the coverage to be decent and I did like the the luminous effect it gave to the under eyes. But I have other concealers that do a better job. If the line offered a wider range of colours it would really make a difference. Overall, it was just kind of "meh" for me. I wouldn't say I don't recommend it but it's not for me. May work for some but not a wide majority.

All in all, Maybelline's Mineral Power collection is a great buy if you love mineral products and inexpensive but quality makeup. Since trying this line it's kind of re-opened my eyes to drugstore brand foundations and I may even consider picking some up in the future. But for now, my heart is with Face Atelier! Has anyone else tried the Maybelline's Mineral Power collection? Love it? Hate it? Happy shopping!

To read more reviews of Maybelline's Mineral Power collection visit ChickAdvisor.com!

No comments: