Thursday, July 24, 2008

Beauty Review: Summer Beauty Essentials for Fun in the Sun

In a perfect world we would be able to do whatever we wanted to our skin and hair no matter what the weather. Then what would my life be without beauty products??? I started noticing last year that my skin was becoming really sensitive to products with an SPF. It started out with face and body moisturizers and then I noticed some tinted moisturizers were making me react. My face would get red, itchy, and bumpy. I had a few rashes on my arms that turned into blisters last summer from a Neutrogena tan enhancing moisturizer with an SPF 20. After I stopped using it, my rashes disappeared (thank god!). I've been weary about using products with an SPF, up until now. (If you experience allergic reactions from SPF check out Savvy Skin's article on Burning Skin Care Ingredients.)



I know I'm committing a beauty offense, but I just started using sun protection on my face a couple of weeks ago! I've tested a few SPF moisturizers and tinted moisturizers this summer and I've finally found a winner with L'Occitane en provence Sunscreen Veil High Protection SPF 30 Face/Eye ($30 CAD)! This is part of a new sun care line fully made in Brazil. Made from a 100% mineral sunscreens and Brazilian organic vegetable oil from the palm-tree Buriti, which is incredibly concentrated in the anti-oxidant beta-carotene. It is light-weight and has a velvet matte finish. In the most humid weather, I don't even feel it on my skin. A little goes along way - you only need 1 pump. It goes on white but once massaged into the skin the colour disappears (be sure to apply before makeup). I love the compact bottle because you take it anywhere and reapply as needed. I'm glad my skin is getting some much needed sun protection without the burning itchy rash!

My skin doesn't usually burn. On Canada Day we were out the whole day in the beating hot sun without an SPF on my body. The next day to my surprise, I experienced my first burn on my neck and chest. It wasn't painful, but annoyingly itchy and hot. Thanks to L'Occitane After-Sun Balm Lotion ($26 CAD), the burn did not last long. It has a nice light scent and instantly cools and soothes the skin. It's non-greasy and doesn't clog the pores. Can be used on both face and body. This after-sun lotion is formulated with organic vegetable butter of Cupuacu, an ingredient that intensely hydrates and regenerates the skin after sun exposure. Tip: For a more cooling effect, place in the refrigerator.

The drugstore is usually my resource for hair care. It's rare for me to spend a lot on hair products even with all the rave reviews of the higher end brands. Ojon's 5 Piece Shine & Protect Hair Ritual Kit ($50 USD) is making me sing another tune. This rescue kit contains Restorative Hair Treatment, Shine and Protect Shampoo, Shine and Protect Conditioner, Shine and Protect Glossing Mist, and Leave-in Glossing Cream. It is the ultimate protection against thermal styling, the sun and environmental damage. I love the Leave-in treatment and the Glossing Mist! My hair is healthier, shinier, and less frizzy. A definite must for beautiful hair any time of the year!

Have you tried these summer beauty essentials? Love it? Hate it? Happy shopping!

L'Occitane en Provence
http://ca.loccitane.com

Ojon products available at Sephora
www.sephora.com

1 comment:

Shelly Borrell said...

I think I'm going to try the shine and protect kit you feature. Thanks for the info. I hope they'll work well with my flat iron. Hhmmmm. http://www.myhairstylingtools.com/karmin-envy-pink-professional-tourmaline-ceramic-flat-iron-p-285.html