Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Beauty Feature: Mascaras Battle It Out Round 2!

Welcome to Round 2 of "Mascaras Battle It Out!" Lash-challenged sisters like me will try anything to get va-va-voom lashes. How many times have we snatched up a mascara claiming to give you bigger than big lashes only to be disappointed? From the moment I started wearing mascara, it has been my quest to find the ultimate one. Today's Round is all about colossal, bodacious, and extreme mascaras!

My Lashes: stick straight, lacking volume and length
Mission: To find a volumizing, lengthening, smudge-free, non-clumping mascara.
Round 2: Extreme volume mascaras with big brushes

Mascara: Too Faced Lash Injection
Rating: 3.5 winks
Price: $19.50 USD
Special Feature: Unique elastic polymers that curl, fatten and stretch far beyond the natural lash.

Smudge-factor: yes
Clump-factor: no
Lengthening: no
Volume: yes, but no wow factor
Curl: no
Wand: Giant brush
For: Gals who want extreme volume and want a mascara that washes off with water.
Overall: Not a fan. I had high expectations from magazine reviews, but was highly disappointed. The most foulest, chemically smell came out as soon as I opened it. I also found the formula to be really dry - another dud? It took me several coats to lengthen my lashes and to create any kind of volume. The more coats I applied, the drier my lashes looked. It also smudged and flaked throughout the day. It did remove easily with warm water, but who really cares.
Beauty Stash Worthy: Not for this Makeup Junkie!

Mascara: Benefit BADgal Lash Mascara
Rating: 6.5 winks
Price: $19 USD
Special Feature: Rich, sexy formula and oversized brush builds thick, beautiful and bodacious lashes.

Smudge-factor: a little
Clump-factor: none
Lengthening: yes
Volume: yes
Curl: yes
Wand: Oversized brush
For: Gals who love big lashes and big brushes
Overall: I really liked BADgal Plum Mascara for making the colour of the eyes pop. The original mascara does give you the volume, but to really make my lashes stand out I had to apply a few coats especially to get it really black. I also found the formula to be a little dry and not rich like it claims. The oversized brush made the application messy and it was hard to reach my smaller lashes. Comparing it to cheaper brands, I find it offers the same effect. I would have given it 7 winks but it smudged a little. The good thing is that you can layer on more without clumps. All in all, you get a nice volume on the first coat but to get it "bodacious", you need a few extra coats.
Beauty Stash Worthy: If you're a fan of Benefit's fun names and cute packaging then sure. But for me, I'd go with a cheaper version that gives you the same effect.

Mascara: Maybelline the Colossal Volum' Express Mascara
Rating: 7.5 winks
Price: $7.99 CAD
Special Feature: Lash-boosting collagen formula and unique Mega Brush plump lashes one by one for 9x the volume in just one coat.

Smudge-factor: none
Clump-factor: no
Lengthening: yes
Volume: definitely
Curl: after 2 coats
Wand: Super thick bristle
For: Gals who love extra volume with virtually no clumping and don't want to spend a fortune.
Overall: It's a good mascara for its value. The word "colossal" invites big expectations though. It gives lashes beautiful volume, length, and doesn't clump but I see no difference from the original Volum' Express Turbo Boost Mascara. The fat wand did make a mess on my lids but that's a given with big wands. I would say that the packaging is pretty "colossal"! I hate extra packaging - what ever happened to eco-friendly? I would have given it an 8 if it weren't for the packaging and the "colossal" expectations.
Beauty Stash Worthy: For the cheap price you can't go wrong.

To view Round 1 of "Mascaras Battle It Out!", click here.

Have you tried these mascaras? Love 'em? Hate 'em?


gabriella said...

Great Blog!! Have you tried out the newly launched vibrating mascaras from Lancome and Estee Lauder? It would be great if you can review them as well.

Make-up Junkie said...

Thank you! As a matter of fact those are the next 2 I will be reviewing! lol Stay tuned!! :)