Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Beauty Feature: Mascaras Battle It Out Round 2!

Welcome to Round 2 of "Mascaras Battle It Out!" Lash-challenged sisters like me will try anything to get va-va-voom lashes. How many times have we snatched up a mascara claiming to give you bigger than big lashes only to be disappointed? From the moment I started wearing mascara, it has been my quest to find the ultimate one. Today's Round is all about colossal, bodacious, and extreme mascaras!

My Lashes: stick straight, lacking volume and length
Mission: To find a volumizing, lengthening, smudge-free, non-clumping mascara.
Round 2: Extreme volume mascaras with big brushes

Mascara: Too Faced Lash Injection
Rating: 3.5 winks
Price: $19.50 USD
Special Feature: Unique elastic polymers that curl, fatten and stretch far beyond the natural lash.

Smudge-factor: yes
Clump-factor: no
Lengthening: no
Volume: yes, but no wow factor
Curl: no
Wand: Giant brush
For: Gals who want extreme volume and want a mascara that washes off with water.
Overall: Not a fan. I had high expectations from magazine reviews, but was highly disappointed. The most foulest, chemically smell came out as soon as I opened it. I also found the formula to be really dry - another dud? It took me several coats to lengthen my lashes and to create any kind of volume. The more coats I applied, the drier my lashes looked. It also smudged and flaked throughout the day. It did remove easily with warm water, but who really cares.
Beauty Stash Worthy: Not for this Makeup Junkie!

Mascara: Benefit BADgal Lash Mascara
Rating: 6.5 winks
Price: $19 USD
Special Feature: Rich, sexy formula and oversized brush builds thick, beautiful and bodacious lashes.

Smudge-factor: a little
Clump-factor: none
Lengthening: yes
Volume: yes
Curl: yes
Wand: Oversized brush
For: Gals who love big lashes and big brushes
Overall: I really liked BADgal Plum Mascara for making the colour of the eyes pop. The original mascara does give you the volume, but to really make my lashes stand out I had to apply a few coats especially to get it really black. I also found the formula to be a little dry and not rich like it claims. The oversized brush made the application messy and it was hard to reach my smaller lashes. Comparing it to cheaper brands, I find it offers the same effect. I would have given it 7 winks but it smudged a little. The good thing is that you can layer on more without clumps. All in all, you get a nice volume on the first coat but to get it "bodacious", you need a few extra coats.
Beauty Stash Worthy: If you're a fan of Benefit's fun names and cute packaging then sure. But for me, I'd go with a cheaper version that gives you the same effect.

Mascara: Maybelline the Colossal Volum' Express Mascara
Rating: 7.5 winks
Price: $7.99 CAD
Special Feature: Lash-boosting collagen formula and unique Mega Brush plump lashes one by one for 9x the volume in just one coat.


Smudge-factor: none
Clump-factor: no
Lengthening: yes
Volume: definitely
Curl: after 2 coats
Wand: Super thick bristle
For: Gals who love extra volume with virtually no clumping and don't want to spend a fortune.
Overall: It's a good mascara for its value. The word "colossal" invites big expectations though. It gives lashes beautiful volume, length, and doesn't clump but I see no difference from the original Volum' Express Turbo Boost Mascara. The fat wand did make a mess on my lids but that's a given with big wands. I would say that the packaging is pretty "colossal"! I hate extra packaging - what ever happened to eco-friendly? I would have given it an 8 if it weren't for the packaging and the "colossal" expectations.
Beauty Stash Worthy: For the cheap price you can't go wrong.

To view Round 1 of "Mascaras Battle It Out!", click here.

Have you tried these mascaras? Love 'em? Hate 'em?

2 comments:

gabriella said...

Great Blog!! Have you tried out the newly launched vibrating mascaras from Lancome and Estee Lauder? It would be great if you can review them as well.

Make-up Junkie said...

Thank you! As a matter of fact those are the next 2 I will be reviewing! lol Stay tuned!! :)