Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Makeup 101: Hair and Makeup in 45 Minutes!

Yesterday and today I had the pleasure of working on one of my favourite models, Malina from Chantale Nadeau Model Placement and Sutherland. She will be making an appearance on Canada AM and eTalk! It was an early morning and we only had 45 minutes to work with. Both appearances required a natural look. You don't have to be a pro to achieve the same results!

As requested by fellow beauty blogger, Monica from The Beauty Parler, here is the hair and makeup breakdown!

Click to on photo to enlarge
Makeup:

Skin: 
Make Up For Ever HD Primer
Face Atelier Ultra Pro Foundation #5 (all over and under eyes) - Love using this foundation. Skin always looks flawless without looking or feeling heavy. Malina looked fresh and radiant!
YSL Touche Eclat #1 under eyes (brightening)
Make Up For Ever HD Powder
Smashbox Halo Bronzing Powder

Cheeks: When you want to look fresh and radiant, bronzer and blush always does the trick!
Smashbox Halo Bronzing Powder (all over and contour)
Benefit Coralista

Eyes: When I want a quick but subtle smokey eye, I like working with cream shadows that blend well and are smudge-proof. You can quickly blend with your finger across your lid or use a brush. Brushing an eye shadow in a similar shade over top will help set it and intensify the colour. Use a light hand then layer more until you have reached your desired intensity. Add a highlighter, curl lashes and mascara and your eyes are smokey and perfectly polished!

CoverFX EyePrep FX
Stila Smudge Pot in Bronze (smudged against lash line, outer crease, and bottom lash line)
Sephora Waterproof Smokey Cream Liner (liner and smudged into outer crease for definition)
NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Rajasthan (metallic gold in center of lid)
NARS Single Shadow in Coconut Grove (blended into crease, outer lash line, and along lash line)
Anastasia Brow Duality (Lace Shimmer inner corner top and bottom)
CoverGirl LashBlast Waterproof Mascara Black

Lips
Benefit Lady's Choice Lipstick
Balmshell Lipgloss in Yummy Mummy over top


Hair:
Step 1: L'Oreal Studio Line Indestructible Volume Spray (all over at the roots)
Step 2: Chi Flat Iron - I achieved bouncy curls by twisting the flat iron all the way down the hair. For volume at the roots, I lifted the hair while twisting flat iron.
Step 3: Teasing - I took a square section at the crown of her head, sprayed L'Oreal Studio Line Indestructible Volume Creation Spray at the root (stronger hold), and teased with a teeth comb. I took sections from the side of her head as well and teased to create over all volume and shape. If you don't need volume, skip this step.
Step 4: I spread out her teased sections with my hands then smoothed with a smoothing brush. 
Step 5: I gathered her hair with my fingers and brought it to the side and positioned at the nape of the neck. II smoothed the hair with a teeth comb then used an elastic to create a side pony tail. 
Step 6: Because her hair was curled, it took seconds to twist the hair into a bun. I used bobby pins to secure the hair. 
Step 7: Sprayed all over with L'Oreal Elnett Volume Spray for extra hold. The overall look was soft texture rather than slicked against the head.

Featured Product: NARS Single Eye Shadow Coconut Grove ($23 USD)


I love me some NARS anything but especially their rich and pigmented shadows. Don't be fooled by this basic neutral. Coconut Grove from the Fall collection is a lovely deep chocolate shadow that creates gorgeous depth and definition. It was the perfect alternative to black for creating intensity in the crease and along the lash line. This has become a staple in my kit as I often reach for my browns and bronzes for a simple everyday look. But watch out - this deep brown creates the most gorgeous smokey eye that is just lovely for the autumn season!

Easy right?! What is your quick but polished look? Have you tried any of these products?

Product was sent for editorial consideration. 

8 comments:

Shadowy Lady said...

Your model looks gorgeous and her makeup is flawless!

But, I should never opened this post lol! You just reminded me that I still haven't picked up Coconut Groove which I wanted since it launched. I also now want the Face Atelier foundation. How do I get a colour match? Do you know what NW25/MUFE HD 118 would be?

dani@callitbeauty said...

lovely!

her skin looks absolutely flawless and i love the lip combo you used. :)

Make-up Junkie said...

Thank you!!

LOL I am an enabler! It's a great colour - u will love. If you can wait, Face Atelier will be at IMATS in Toronto in November. Will u be able to make it? My guess would be #2-4 but it's hard to say!

beautyparler said...

Thank you for the break-down! I so want to get the Face Atelier fndn now, maybe at IMATS:)

Make-up Junkie said...

@dani - thank you! as for the lips I haven't used both items in a while and forgot how pretty they look!

@Monica - You're welcome and thanks for inspiring me to do the post! Yes, u must try the Face Atelier foundation - u will love! Actually, this whole look I can totally see on you!

Arianne said...

She looks so lovely Joy! That FACE atelier foundation is really working for her. ;)

Make-up Junkie said...

@Arianne - thanks lady! I've tried many foundations but nothing beats the finish of Face atelier - well maybe with the exception of Giorgio Armani!

Shadowy Lady said...

I was gonna come to IMATS but I'm making an NYC/D.C trip right before so I'll be tight in cash :( I guess I can DM Face Atelier and see what they recommend for me :)