Monday, May 30, 2011

Makeup 101 Guest Tutorial: Adding A Pop of Colour To Your Everyday Makeup

It's Makeup 101 time! We haven't done in a while so I thought it would be fun to have loyal Makeup Junkie reader, aspiring makeup artist, and friend Olivia, do a fun tutorial. She's young, gorgeous and full of creative ideas. Enjoy!

Spring is here and summer is just around the corner. That means it’s time to ditch the winter wardrobe and bring colour back into the mix. This season is all about bright and bold colours. Make-up should be about accentuating your natural beauty but that doesn’t mean you can’t make your look a little more fun and flirty!

Check out these two looks to spice up your daily routine:




Look 1: This first look is meant to play up a neutral eye. You still maintain a natural look but with the blink of an eye a little daring colour is exposed.

Steps: Begin by sweeping a taupe shadow over the lid. Use the same colour to define your bottom lash line. Then use an orange shadow (such as MAC eyeshadow in Red Brick) to define your crease. To finish off the eyes, line the top and bottom lid with a brown eyeliner (try MAC fluidline in Rich Ground) and apply mascara.

To add colour to your cheeks, mix your orange eyeshadow and a bit of bronzer and blend into the apples of your cheeks and sweeping towards your hairline. I also used a little concealer on my lips to neutralize any pink tone and added tons of gloss.

















Look 2: This next look brings spring flare to the classic black eyeliner look.

Steps: Start by adding a skin tone shadow to neutralize the eye such as MAC pigment in Naked. Then line your eyes with red shadow (try Make Up For Ever’s red star powder). Make sure the line is a little thicker than you would normally apply eyeliner so that the red will peak through the black eyeliner. Once you have created a clean red line you can follow that with a thinner line of black eyeliner. It should look something like this:


You can finish the look off by adding white eyeliner to the inner corner of each eye (to brighten your eyes) and adding mascara to the top lashes. You can either leave your lips natural or add a bright red gloss (such as Kat Von D’s Underage Red) for a more dramatic effect.

About Olivia


I’ve been a Makeup Junkie my whole life. It all started when I was a young girl playing with my mom’s empty blush and eyeshadow containers. That soon developed into a Lip Smackers and Bonne Bell obsession. As I grew older I began exploring the many cosmetic brands Shoppers has to offer but when Sephora finally came to Canada I knew I had found home. For years I have hummed and hawed at the possibility of becoming a makeup artist. However, when it came time to choose a career I went with my passion in school, mathematics. Now that I have finished my degree, I finally feel free to pursue my real dreams. Recently an opportunity came up to move to London, England and I just couldn’t resist! While I’m there, I hope to attend the Academy of Freelance Makeup and find out once and for all if I’m cut out for a life in fashion and beauty!

Thank you Olivia for the lovely tutorial and we wish you the best of luck! What do you guys think? Would you wear this look or something similar to it?

6 comments:

Lena! said...

LOVE it! I'm definitely going to add some pop to my eyes - thanks so much for the tip!

Unknown said...

I would definately wear something like this. I did a you tube tutorial about a week ago with a very similar look but I used a purple eye liner. Olivia looks great! x

Fashionism said...

The reds are gorgeous, a perfect look for the summer. The red eyeliner is so subtle yet it looks so amazing. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Makeup World said...

Really pretty, usually its hard to use red-ish colors on eyes but tht looks gr8! =]

Bangs and Blogs said...

Love the red eyeliner bit! Such a small change and yet such a big result! Keep up the great work.

Maura said...

I love it! I usually add a pop of color under the lower lash line, but this idea is really great! I will definitely be trying this out the next time i do my makeup...