Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Summer Beauty Review: Are Tinted Moisturzers Created Equal?

Spring is just beginning here in Toronto, but I see summer skies on the horizon! My skin is starting to behave now that the weather is turning a bit warmer which means I can put away my heavier foundations! I've been living on tinted moisturizers since April, but my skin is still needing a bit of coverage. If you're deciding to make the switch to a tinted moisturizer, there's a few things to keep in mind. 

Are tinted moisturizers created equal? I've been test driving 3 since March and each one has their good and not-so-good features. Here's what I thought and what worked for me and will hopefully work for you!




















The Tints:

mark by Avon Get A Tint Tinted Moisturizer Lotion SPF 15 ($10 USD): Light-weight and oil-free. Gives enough coverage and shimmer for a balanced glow. Unique skin-balancing formula hydrates while it prevents shine in those spots prone to excess oil. Available in Ivory/Nude, Buff/Natural, Honey/Golden, Almond/Mocha.

Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 ($30 CAD): Light-weight hydrating formula that protects the skin with SPF and covers imperfections naturally for a no-makeup look. Available in 6 shades. 

Cover FX Skintint FX Treatment and Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 ($39 CAD): Rejuvenating liquid mineral treatment. Pearlized minerals provide tinted sun-kissed looking skin. Perfect for dry, sallow, sensitive or sun-damaged skin. Oil-free, fragrance-free, and paraben-free. Available in C Light, C Deep, E Light, E Deep, M Light, and M Deep. 


The Coverage (T-B in photo):

mark by Avon in Buff/Natural: The most economical out of the 3, this tint actually gives some coverage! The formula didn't feel heavy or greasy and evened out my skin tone pretty good. On darker blemishes, I did have to apply a separate concealer for more coverage. The Buff shade works for my skin tone right now, but probably won't as I get darker. When first applied, the shimmer seemed very noticeable and I found myself trying to brush it or sponge it away. I was scared that as the day wore on, I would end up looking like an oily mess. Surprisingly, the shimmery particles faded to a sheen leaving my skin glowing and didn't make me shinier. For oilier skin types, however, I'm not sure if the results will be the same. Any oily lovelies that can weigh in? I think this would work great on the decolletage for a sexy glow and on the legs especially if you need to hide any nicks or bruises.

Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer in #3: In March, I was actually light enough to use this shade which is for more fair skinned beauties. The downside - the shade doesn't work for me now. The upside? I'm getting more tanned! Yay! Out of the 3, the Clinique version provides the best coverage yet still looked natural. I didn't have to use a separate concealer over my blemishes or red spots. I really liked the light-weight feel to it. Those that are oilier will appreciate the non-shimmery formula.

Cover FX Skintint FX in M Light: This has been my go-to TM for the past month or so. I love the golden tint it gives my skin! Out of the 3, the finish is the closest to looking like your natural skin. I love the mousse-like texture - it feels like air when applied. It has a pearlized texture rather than shimmer so you're left with skin that glows. The downside? My skin isn't the most perfect right now and I find it doesn't offer enough coverage. My solution? I've been mixing this with Cover FX's Natural FX Water-Based Liquid Foundation SPF 15. The combo gives me enough coverage while still feeling and looking like a TM. It's the pricier option of the 3, but all Cover FX products have ingredients that repair and heal the skin. Perfect for both normal or more problematic skin.

To Tint or Not-To-Tint?

Meredith from her lovely blog, et tu and you, did a post about tinted moisturizers and debated whether switching to one would work for her (click on link above to read). She asked me to weigh in on it and I'm so glad she did!

Wearing a TM really depends on your skin type and your lifestyle. There are ones that offer more coverage and in my experience the ones I love are tarte's Smooth Operator and Clinique's Moisture Surge. These are great options especially if you are used to a full coverage foundation. However, mixing your moisturizer with your favourite foundation also does the trick. I've fallen in love with mixing my Cover FX Skintint with the Natural FX. 

As I said in my reply to her, there is a time and place for everything. If you're working out and still want a bit of coverage (for fear of running into that hottie or ex), a TM is your best friend. Nothing is worst than foundation dripping off your face and onto the workout equipment! If I'm running errands, I usually slap on a bit of concealer with my TM. If I'm attending an event that requires long lasting makeup, I will use a full coverage foundation. If you normally have flawless skin (damn you!), then you can get away with wearing a TM all year round. But if you're less fortunate like me, I use a heavier foundation in the winter months and switch to a TM in the warmer months.

And as always, I am never without a face primer. Make sure you apply a primer (mattifying one if oily) first to keep your TM on all day. Since they don't offer as much coverage, the chances of it fading is greater. Don't be afraid to do a light dusting of translucent powder to set it.

What is your favourite tinted moisturizer? Do you prefer it over a full coverage foundation? Have you tried any of the 3?

Products were sent for editorial consideration and I truly love them.

5 comments:

beautyparler said...

Haven't tried any of those 3, but they sound lovely. My faves; Avon, Stila, Laura Mercier. I really like TM as an everyday beauty product.

Donna Marie said...

My go to TM is Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer. It gives great coverage and makes me looking flawless. I've also tried Clinique Almost Makeup SPF 15. This is supposedly a sheer coverage but it actually gives me full coverage for a TM. It's a good one too but a little thicker than the Laura Mercier one. I haven't tried the ones you've tried but I'm wanting to try the Cover FX one.

Fashionism said...

Those are some great finds! With the weather getting warmer, tinted moisturizers are the way to go – liquid foundations are just too heavy for the summer months. TMs look so natural and they’re also a great solution to keep your face from getting sun burn!

Jennifer from Toronto - Spiced Beauty said...

Great post! Love the Cover FX one

Sharlynn said...

I tan all over except the face! I stay out of the sun at all times if I can so that's probably why...Tanning isn't very popular at all in most parts of asia, we tend to prefer fairer skin.

From the pics, both avon and clinique would work for me depending on if I want the pinkness in my skin to be covered or if I want a bright look.

I'm currently using Vichy Aera BB cream and theBalm tinted moisturizer in Light/medium...I'll definitely be checking out the clinique moisturizer and they're new bb cream.