Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fall Beauty Review 2011: Amp Up Your Glow With Benefit Watt's Up!


What defines a "glow"? I'll tell you what doesn't. If what you're using looks gritty on your skin, isn't blended well, or makes you look like a disco ball then you need to ditch it. I have highlighters in all kinds of forms: powders, loose powders, creams, gels, lotions, liquids, and even gooey jellies (which I only used in fashion photography). When there is one that really works and photographs well, I stick to it. My beloved M.A.C. Mineralize Skinfinish in Shimpagne used to be my go-to highlighter. It really is a beautiful highlighter, but at times it could sit really heavy on the skin if I didn't use a light hand or the right brush.Well, I think I've found a new love!

Benefit's Watt's Up! ($30 USD) has become my new favourite product for creating that luminous finish. It's a gorgeous champagne soft focus highlighter that gives your skin a really natural glow. It has a lovely cream-to-powder texture that melts into the skin. The powder finish gives it a lasting finish. I was still "lit" until I was ready to take off my makeup in the evening. I love applying it during the day to make me look fresh and awake and it also works great when contouring. The champagne shade has a warm undertone to it and will suit most skin tones, although I've only tried it on my skin tone and lighter. I imagine it would still work for darker skin tones but it would be great if they came out with another shade that has more peach and gold in it.

At times Benefit's packaging can be gimmicky, but I've always been a fan of their kitschy design. Watt's Up!'s design and packaging are not only eye catching but functional. I love the idea of having the stick highlighter on one side and a blending sponge on the other. No messy fingers! Although, while the sponge helps blend the highlighter beautifully, the warmth from your finger will make it blend into the skin better.

All in all, it may be pricey for a highlighter but it's right up there with other luxury brands. The added benefit of the sponge definitely makes it worth it plus the natural glow it gives. You can also use it on several areas. You can apply it on the brow bone, inner corner of eyes, on your lips to make them look poutier and to accent your decolletage. If you're in the market for a highlighter, this is one to definitely add to your list! 

Have you tried Watt's Up!? Love it? Hate it? Want it?


Products were sent for editorial consideration and I truly love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want it, its on my wish list ;-)

Kelly Freeman / Glitter Diaries said...

Love this! The colour is so gorgeous in person! I don't have it yet but the more I see it makes me wanna get it asap lol

The Blossom Shed said...

I've been wanting to try this - I'm hearing good things about it, and I love Highbeam, so it's going on my list now!

The Blossom Shed Beauty Blog