Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Spring Beauty Review 2012 Part 1: Avon/mark. Must-Haves!

I don't know how it happened, but Avon products have found their way into my kit! I've had the pleasure of testing out a lot of their launches and in just this year alone they've really stepped it up. Check out my latest picks that are worthy of your beauty stash!



Clockwise: 

  • mark. All The Highlights Soft Glow Illuminator ($20 CAD): I'm loving all the embossed designs on all the spring beauty launches this season! The pretty flower and butterfly detail alone is enough reason to get this illuminator. Its mix of soft pinks and lilacs are positively spring-y and will give your skin a luminous glow that isn't glittery looking. 

The great thing is that you can wear this on the eyes. When they are mixed together the swatch on the very right is what you get. It's a pale lilac which on very fair skin would show as a soft blush, but on darker skin will appear as a soft highlight. The only disappointing thing is that the product shot is a bit misleading. The butterfly looks like a vibrant pink but in actuality are the shades swatched above. I'm not sure if I got a different one or not...
  • Avon Big Color Glossy Lip Pencil ($9.99 CAD): I'm such a big fan of jumbo lip pencils in both glossy or matte. They make for a quick yet precise application. Avons version offers really great pigment and has a longer than normal wear time. I was really surprised by how much pigment the lip pencils offer. It's not too sheer but still very wearable for everyday. The texture isn't too slippery and has a nice thick texture that has a smooth tackiness to it - not in a bad way. The only bad thing is that you have to sharpen with a fat sharpener. It's not a big deal but I prefer ones that self-sharpen. 

The shades are basic but pretty. My favourites were Glossy Sunset (top swatch) and Glossy Rose (bottom swatch). Sunset is a must-have coral for this season and Rose is the lovely nude rose shade perfect for Spring's colourful and bright shadows. 

  • Avon Eye Brightening Pencil ($7.99 CAD): Who doesn't want to look bright-eyed and awake? I love highlighting pencils because they make faking it that much easier. Adding a pearly highlighter to the inner corner of the eyes and the brow bones is one of those life changing makeup techniques that will take years off your age. Light illuminates or "brings forward". Dark shades help make features look less noticeable or "recede". I love Avon's little chubby pencils. They fit perfectly in the inner corner and are easy to work with. The pigment is amazing and the texture glides on creamy and smooth making it very easy to blend into the skin. 
Top to bottom: Frosting, Pink Dust and Lavender Blue

These of course can double as a shadow and liner. Frosting and Pink Dust are perfect for fair to medium skin tones as a highlighter. For darker skin tones, I prefer peachy or gold tones - I would recommend Honey Blue from the collection. Lavender Blue is a great shade on the lid or to enhance your bottom lash line. As a shadow, these are perfect for when you don't need your makeup to last all day. If you're in a hurry they are easy enough to swipe on and blend with your finger. Skip these if you need your makeup to stay on a while otherwise they will crease or disappear. I love using these as bases under a powder shadow to enhance the pigment. Otherwise, I prefer to use these as highlighters. 
Angelic

This contour, highlighting, blush palette from Avon is contouring-made-easy. The palette contains 3 shades: bronzer to contour, colour shade to flush the cheeks, and a light shade for highlighting. For a quick tutorial, check out my post on contouring and highlighting! You can use each shade on its own or swirl together for a peachy luminous cheek. All shades are nicely pigmented and I love that the highlighter is not uber shimmery. It gives the skin a subtle sheen that is not over the top. If you're afraid to contour, this is the palette to have!

If my post has made you want to go out and buy all these products, get in touch with the fabulous Avon rep, Elaine, from Toronto Beauty Reviews if you're in the Toronto area! Stay up-to-date on the latest Avon/mark. news and launches by visiting Elaine's From Elaine Next Door blog

Stay tuned for Part 2 of my Avon Spring faves!


Products were sent for editorial consideration and I truly love them.

4 comments:

the creation of beauty is art. said...

All of the products look really pretty! Nice, light, and shimmery!
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

crema corpo said...

awesome products!! :)

MsBeautyGEEK said...

I've never been a fan of Avon but i think you just sold me. all the products look so natural and glowy, perfect for Summer.

Tippy said...

I didn't realize that an eye brightener could look so good!

tipsybytippy.blogspot.com.au