Friday, March 30, 2007

My Spring/Summer Must-Haves!

The springtime has got to be my favourite season of the year. I can't help but feel rejuvenated and renewed after a sluggish cold winter. The air is fresher, flowers are in bloom, colours are brighter, the temperature is just perfect enough to wear a light spring coat, and the days are longer. I'll be honest, when it comes down to it the spring/summer fashions and new make-up collections are what really get me going. Here are my spring/summer must-haves for fashion and make-up!


Beauty:

1. A good moisturizer with an SPF like Korres Suncare Set which comes complete with Watermelon Sunscreen Face Cream SPF 30, Yogurt Cooling Gel, and a Pomegranate Balancing Moisturizer. If you have redness try Murad's Redness Therapy Correcting Moisturizer SPF 15 and for oily/acne prone skin try Murad's Oil-Free Sunblock SPF 30.

2. Tinted moisturizer or sheer foundation with an SPF. Try Sue Devitt's Microquatic Pro-Marine Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 which is the first to come in a convenient compact that I know of. If you prefer something with more coverage try Smashbox's new High Definition Healthy FX Foundation SPF 15.

3. A golden based bronzer. Many people have a hard time finding a good bronzer. I've been using my Hoola bronzer by Benefit for the past couple of years now and it's never failed me. I like it because it doesn't have a shimmer and works on just about every skin tone. Darker skin tones I recommend using MAC's Bronzer in Refined Deeper Bronze. If you want a fool proof bronzed look try Tarte's Sunburst Beaded Bronzing Lotion. The bronzing beads burst on contact with skin and gives the right dose of a bronzed glow. It's oil-free and doesn't feel greasy on your skin.

4. Give your cheeks a pop of colour with fun spring hues. I love anything from gels, stains, creams, and powders when it comes to blush. Go with something sheer or go with something shimmery - whatever tickles your fancy. For fair skin go for soft candy pinks, medium skin corals or peaches, and for darker skin try deep apricots or if you're daring fuchsia pinks. Skip blush if it's not your thing and use your bronzer to give your cheeks a sunkissed glow.

5. Waterproof and smudge proof mascara!

6. Go with bronzy hues for your lids like Pop Beauty's new Lid Bronzer eye shadow palette. It comes with easy-to-follow instructions on how to achieve the perfect bronzy lids! I love also love sheer seafoam or turquoise shades for the summer time. Try MAC's eye shadows in Surreal or Shimmermoss.

7. Your lips need sun protection too. If you want a balm with a bit of colour my all time favourite is still MAC's Tinted Lip Conditioner SPF 15. For spring/summer trends try Soothing Beige for a nice nude and for a pop of colour go with Fuchsia Fix or Gentle Coral.

8. Gloss is a must-have for every season. I'm loving all the new spring colours from MAC's Plushglass glosses.

9. Since spring/summer is all about exposing some skin you want to make sure it's in the best condition possible. Exfoliate with a body scrub like The Body Shop's yummy Coconut Body Scrub.

10. Keep those feet looking soft and pretty especially during sandal season. No one wants to see your cracked, crusty, unpolished feet! Scrub those feet with The Body Shop's Peppermint Cooling Pumice Foot Scrub and follow with The Body Shop's Peppermint Cooling Foot Rescue Treatment. Paint those toes in some vibrant shades like OPI's Brighter By The Dozen collection in Bright Lights - Big Colour, Atomic Orange, Totally Tangerine, and if you're daring Azure For Sure and Need Sunglasses?, a bright yellow (this would look great on fingers too!).

11. I'm not a big fan of fake and bake or self-tanners (I'm too lazy to apply a self-tanner properly). I like quick, easy, and natural body bronzers like Jergen's Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer. There's no streaking or orange colouration and it keeps you moisturized at the same time.



Fashion:

1. A white spring jacket for those breezy days and nights like this military-inspired jacket from Old Navy or a belted trench for something dressier like this one also from Old Navy.

2. A white or tan purse like this inexpensive hobo bag from Old Navy or like my dream purse the "Tanya" from Marc Jacobs.

3. A really fun summer dress like this one from American Eagle.

4. Stock up on some flip flops from Old Navy for some fun in the sun at the beach or running day to day errands. I also love flats like these cute little peep toes from Urban Outfitters and wedge sandals like these ones from Aldo. For those hot summer nights out for drinks I like a hot platform sandal like this one also from Aldo.

5. Tanks! I love getting tanks in all different colours from just about anywhere: Walmart, Old Navy, American Apparel if I feel like splurging, but nothing beats good ol' Hanes wife beaters!

6. I'm a jeans girl and wear everything with jeans. A good pair of jeans are always a must-have. I love Citizens of Humanity jeans from Over the Rainbow and my jeans from The Gap for curvy girls.

7. A girl has always got to have jewelry. I love anything from beaded chunky jewelry to wooden bamboo inspired pieces. Right now I'm loving anything in yellow.

8. A hot pair of sunglasses. I love aviators like these ones from Gucci.

That rounds out my fashion and beauty list! What are you spring/summer must-haves? Happy shopping!

No comments: