Friday, April 13, 2007
Make-up 101: Combating Oily Skin in the Summer
No body wants to look like they bathed in a tub of oil and it's especially hard to avoid it during the hot and humid summer months. Here are a list of products that will help you combat shiny oily skin:
1. Start off your morning regime with a good cleanser like Neutrogena's Rapid Clear Oil Controlling Foam Cleanser.
2. Moisturize your skin with an oil-free lotion that has an SPF 15 like Neutrogena's Oil-Free Moisture SPF 15.
3. It's always good to prep the skin with a primer prior to adding your foundation or base. The primer will create a nice smooth canvas for you to apply your makeup and will also help it last longer. Try Lorac's aquaPRIME Oil Free Makeup Primer.
4. I like to wear as little as possible when it comes to foundation especially during the warmer months. If you prefer a base that is natural and feels like your skin try a tinted moisturizer with an SPF like Lorac's ProtecTINT SPF 30 Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer. If you prefer/need heavier coverage try MAC's Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation. It's oil-free and long-lasting. A girlfriend of mine has really oily skin and she swears by it.
5. To avoid greasy lids always prep the eye area with a primer like Smashbox's Lid and Lip Primer. This will prevent your shadows from creasing and fading. Then set with an oil-free powder like MAC's Blotting Powder. It takes oil away without adding texture or colour to the skin.
6. If you want to look shimmery and glowy, focus on only 1 or 2 areas of the face to avoid looking like a spotlight. If you want a shimmery shadow, do a water-proof and crease-proof shadow like Bourjois Intensely Luminous Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow. Use a powder blush and nothing too glossy on the lips. Add a hint of shimmer on the cheekbones.
If you want shimmer or glow on the cheeks that's long-lasting, try Tarte's water-based gel stains in Bronze Goddess for a hint of shimmer. If you'd like more of a natural glow try Nars' Creme Blush in any of their amazing colours. A little goes a long way. Pair with a matte or satin shadow and a glossy lip or sheer lipstick.
If you want all the attention on the lips go for a nice shimmery gloss like Tarte's Inside Out Vitamin Lip Gloss. It comes in 3 shimmery colours and is actually good for you (Borba vitamin infused gloss)! If you want an even sexier pout layer a shimmery gloss over a shimmery lipstick like Shiseido's The Makeup Shimmering Lipstick. Match with either shimmer on the eyes or shimmer on the cheeks.
7. After you're done, set your make-up with an oil-free powder and use blotting papers throughout the day to take away shine like Clean and Clear's Oil-Absorbing Sheets. You can pick them up at your local drugstore. They're cheap and just as good as the higher end brands and with 50 sheets in the pack it's a steal!
By using the right products, your skin will look healthy and radiant and not like you've been sweating in a sauna. So glow on girlfriend!