Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Makeup 101: Faking A Good Night's Rest

Getting a restful 8 hours of sleep every night seems like a far away dream for me and for most people. If you can't get the real stuff then fake it! Oh, where would we be without our fabulous beauty products?? Here are some products and tips that can take you from looking like blah to bright-eyed and gorgeous!

Step 1: When I've had a really late night especially if alcohol has been involved, splashing some really cold water on my face and my eyes always seems to wake me up. My skin always looks fresh and less swollen. Tricks for red, dry eyes? Drop a little Visine to make the whites look brighter. Puffy bags? I sometimes like to put my eye cream in the fridge. The cooling effect soothes and helps calm the puffiness. If that doesn't work, I've heard tea bags or cold spoons on the bags works.

Step 2: Moisturize the eye area really good with your favourite eye cream. I haven't found THE one yet, so I'm not going to recommend one. I always find dry, flaking skin around the eyes makes you look tired. You want the skin around your eyes to look luminous.

Step 3: Use a creamy concealer to even out the skin tone around the eyes and to cover dark circles. When covering dark circles, only apply concealer where the discolouration is. I like to use my fingers because the product just melts into the skin, but sometimes you have to use a small concealer brush to really get in there. My concealer of choice right now is Benefit's Erase Paste ($26 USD). This little perk-me-up is a concentrated, creamy concealer that brightens and camouflages those dark circles and blemishes. A little goes a long way so build until you are satisfied with the coverage. The good thing is that it never looks cakey or heavy. After applying on your circles, go ahead and even out your skin around your nose and any blemish. This comes in 3 shades: Fair, Medium and Deep. If you have medium dark skin and are planning to use this on its own, go for Deep because the Medium seems too light. Those with darker skin will have to use underneath a foundation that matches your skin.

An extra step you can do is to set the concealer with powder. People with wrinkles tend to skip this but I've found that Benefit's Powderflage ($28 USD), a light-diffusing powder concealer for eyes and face is fine enough that it doesn't settle into the lines. Just sweep the light pink powder over your dark circles or fine lines with the "flager" brush that is included (looks like a fan) and like magic you'll look more youthful and awake! The set also includes a beauty lesson so you can disguise those circles like a pro!



Step 4: Highlighting key areas can make all the difference. It will brighten areas that can look rather dark. You can fake that awake look with Tarte Rest Assured Brightening Wand ($22 USD). This double-ended brightening wand has a nude-peach pencil on one side for lining the inner rim of your eye, making the whites of your eye brighter. On the other side is a shimmery pink highlighter that you can dab in the inner corner of the eyes, just a touch on the brow bone and a little on the cheekbones.

Those with med-dark to darker skin tones may prefer Anastasia's Eye Lights Shimmer ($21 USD). I LOVE this highlighter! This lovely iridescent beige pencil has made a nice little home in my makeup bag. Swipe it on the lids when you're in a hurry for a little glimmer or dab on the lips for some extra pout.
Step 5: Curl those lashes! Doing this will open up the eye even more. Swipe on a coloured mascara like Benefit's BADgal Plum Mascara ($19 USD). This plum shade will enhance any eye colour, taking the attention away from any other flaws you want to hide. I swiped this on yesterday and loved how my plain ol' brown eyes popped! My lashes looked so lush and full. I'm very particular with my mascara and very delighted that it never smudged. On its own the plum shade is a little more vibrant and over top of black mascara is more subtle. If you're a fan of the original BADgal mascara then you'll love this one for sure!

Step 6: A little colour never hurt nobody. When you don't get enough sleep, your skin looks a little paler. For me, it's a lot paler. With the help of some bronzer, looking sun-kissed makes you look healthier instantly. Tarte Mineral Powder Bronzer ($28 USD) is a feather light mineral bronzer that contains ingredients like Vitamin A and E, which act as antioxidants to fight free radical damage and mineral pigments that are known for soothing and softening properities. Just swipe on the high points of the face. This pearly bronzer comes in handy when I need a healthy glow. And how luxe is the bronze case?? You'll love pulling this out of your purse for touch-ups!

Step 7: Gone are the days where women pinched their cheeks for a little rouge. Adding blush to the apples of the cheeks is the perfect perk-me-up. Rosy cheeks always makes you look a little healthier and a little happier. I LOVE Tarte Cheek Stain in Flush ($28 USD), a sheer berry. I actually used this yesterday morning after a very late night. The stain lasts all day, leaving you glowing and radiant. Dab on the cheeks and voila - the perfect flush. For a peach glow, try Tipsy a definite must-have.

Step 8: Finish faking a good night's rest with a swipe of gloss for some healthy shine. Too Faced Mirror Mirror Gloss in I Know You Want Me ($16 USD), is a clear gloss that has the sexiest dose of shine. Your lips look like glass and feel so smooth. These scented glosses are full of antioxidants that nourish and protect your lips. If you want a little more colour try I Love Myself!, a sheer pink. Don't you just love the names? These will give you a boost of confidence!

Now go fake a good night's rest! Or just go to bed! ;)

No comments: