Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Faves: Face


Summer time fun is no fun when your makeup is melting off your face or looks caked on. Here are a few face savers that have been in heavy rotation in my kit! 

1. Make Up For Ever HD Complexion Travel Kit ($34 CDN): If you want to achieve an HD ready face on and off camera this is the kit for you. Set includes 3 best-sellers: HD Elixir, HD Microperfecting Primer, and HD Microfinish Powder. 

The Exlir is a gel serum designed to boost the skin's moisture by 520% in 15 minutes. I really love this serum. My skin is pretty sensitive and without a moisturizer feels really tight. I tried the serum without a moisturizer and my skin felt well hydrated. Only a small amount is needed to cover the face.

The HD Microperfecting Primer is fantastic! It has an oil-free formula that glides onto the skin. My skin feels so smooth with the combination of the Elixir and primer. Makeup blended perfectly onto the skin and lasted all day. It has become one of my new favourite primers!

The HD Microfinish Powder is made with 100% mineral Silica powder. I love the soft focus effect it gives your skin. It works for all skin-tones and definitely helps the staying power of the makeup. Overall, it's a great sample kit if you've been wanting to try these products.

2. freshMinerals Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 ($25 USD): Absolutely loving this tinted moisturizer for many reasons. This all-natural mineral tinted moisturizer gives the skin a beautiful healthy glow and protects your skin from the sun. It's tinted but it definitely gives the skin good coverage and it's water-proof. However, if you have a blemish or pimple it won't be enough to cover it. My favourite feature is the twist top foundation brush. I've used similar products and the brush always made a mess. When you squeeze the tube an excess amount doesn't spurt out. You get just enough and the on and off twist top prevents messes and wasting product. There are 5 shades to choose from - I'm Sand and works great from my bronzy skin.

3. Benefit POREfessional ($34 CDN): If you suffer from big pores suffer no more! I am so loving the silky smooth balm that instantly minimizes the appearance of pores and primes the skin. It is oil-free, extremely lightweight, and can be used over and under your makeup. Makeup just glides on effortlessly and keeps your makeup looking flawless all day. It's also great at mattifying the skin. Available July 2010. 

4. LUSH Colour Supplement ($13.95 CDN): LUSH has makeup?? This mineral-oil free multi-purpose base can be used in many different ways. This base offers full coverage but if you prefer a lighter coverage mix with your favourite moisturizer for a lighter, dewier finish. It also works amazing as a concealer. Made with red rose petal infusion to calm redness and glycerine to help retain moisture, it gives the skin a beautiful finish. It is available in 4 shades: Light Pink Colour (lightest shade and most versatile), Dark Pink Colour (darkest), Light Yellow (pale or ivory skins), Dark Yellow (olive and yellow skins). The Dark Yellow works great for my skin tone. The only downside is that since it is an all-natural vegan product, the shelf-life of this is about a year and since it comes in a jar you'd have to use a spatula to avoid contamination. And beware, it may melt! 

5. Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Roller ($19.99 CDN): I'll be honest, I was prepared to be disappointed by this product. I've tried tinted under-eye products before and all have been a complete fail. I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage and how the mineral pigments instantly brightened my death circles! The cool feel of the roller ball also soothed my puffy tired eyes. The combination of the caffeine gel formula and the roller ball help energize and stimulate circulation. The lemon essence is known for its clarifying properties and brightens the eye area. I was afraid it would alter the colour of my concealer but it didn't. In fact, I ended up using less concealer! The shade is a shimmering beige and is supposed to be a universal shade. It says that it offers "flawless coverage for most skin tones" so it probably is too light for you dark-skinned beauties, however, may work underneath your concealer or foundation. Available August 2010. 

6. Cover FX Conceal FX ($27 CDN): The lovely team over at Cover FX held a flash mob outside Toronto's Eaton Center back in April. After the crazy mob of people died down, I luckily went home with a full-size sample of their popular Conceal FX! It erases under eye circles, blemishes, sun damage, redness, tattoos, birth marks, and even moles. I love how opaque yet emollient the concealer is. I've been finding my Benefit Erase Paste is a little too creamy for this humid weather, but Conceal FX doesn't feel heavy and stays put. It is also water-proof and HD friendly. This is a must-have concealer! 

7. Skindinavia No More Shine Makeup Finish ($12.50-57 USD): I haven't actually been using this on myself because I don't really have a problem with excess oil. Instead, I've been using it on my brides at bridal trials to see how well this spray actually works. I sprayed this on prior to foundation then once again after all the makeup had been applied. The verdict? There's no question the makeup lasts longer, but my brides did notice the shine creep up after 3 or 4 hours versus the 16 hours that it claims to do. However, the amount of oil and shine that appeared was a lot less and kept the shine at bay a couple more hours longer than without. But even with a bit of oil, the makeup did not smear or melt off. Only touch-ups required was a little blotting. If you have oily skin I'd recommend trying the smallest size before committing to a full size bottle. Overall, my brides were happy with the results! 

Have you tried any of these products? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Want 'em? What must-have face products have you been using for the hot weather?

4 comments:

Farah said...

Benefit POREfessional
I need this!!!
Great post

Hav T said...

Sorry I submitted the wrong comment :/ but the MUFE travel kit sounds awesome. It's something I would like to try. Great reccomendations!

Hav
http://abeautywithbrains.blogspot.com

Make-up Junkie said...

@Farah - thanks hun! you'll love it - feels so great on and skin looks gorge after!

@Hav BWB - LOL thank you! the MUFE travel kit is amaze!

Elisa said...

Hey do you think the EcoTools brushes would work with CoverFX foundation? I read your earlier post, I'm a shade M60 as well. Thanks for your advice.
I'm a big fan of your blog :)

-Elisa