Friday, October 15, 2010

Fall Trend 2010: It's A Lipstick Love Affair Part 1


How sexy is this shot? It's a little naughty, a little suggestive, and makes me want to get with this lipstick.


Before I get into my review of YSL's Rouge Pur Couture lipsticks, I just want to share a few of the campaign shots. I love receiving their press releases because it's so well presented. The images are all worthy to hang on my wall!


Who doesn't love lipstick art?


If you love anything YSL then these haute lipsticks designed by YSL Creative Director, Stefano Pilati, are a makeup must-have! I've always found the gold packaging of YSL's beauty line to be symbol of luxury and decadence. The three YSL emblematic colours - red, fuchsia, and orange - have been reinterpreted to offer a shade range for every skin tone. If you're wondering what the black and white lipsticks are for, Noir Laque is used to darken any lip shade and the Blanc is used to lighten. Talk about custom shades! My YSL lipsticks are popular among my brides - I may have to pick up a few more or the entire line!

The formula much like the line's other popular lipsticks are very hydrating and offer a rich and radiant finish to the lips. Of all their lipsticks, Rouge Pur is probably the most long-lasting. It's not as slippery as their other lipsticks.

Tip: If you apply your lip balm and then the lipstick directly after, the lipstick will move around making for a messy application. The lipsticks are so creamy that if the lips are too wet, it will start to bleed and feather. Either apply your lip balm at the same time you apply your primer or apply the lipstick first then dab some lip balm after to the center of the lips. For precise application, it's always recommended to use a lip brush (who am I kidding? I don't even do that on myself!). 


1. YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick #17 Rose Dahlia ($30 USD): Rose Dahlia is the bottom swatch and is the sheerest of the lipsticks I received. This appears more coral-pink on me and doesn't really remind me of a rose shade but it is lovely against my skin tone. This would be a perfect spring-summer lippie - just picture bronzey skin and this lip. Gorgeous! 

2. YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick #7 Le Fuchsia ($30 USD): When I'm not doing a bold red lip, you'll most likely see my lips in a bright fuchsia. What can I say? My little girl obsession with pink has followed me into womanhood! I lurve this shade. During the day, I'll press it into my lips with my finger and wear as a stain. It's still striking but not so day-glo-I-need-my-shades sort of thing. As soon as the moon is out, I layer this puppy on! I wore this out for Nuit Blanche and it held up through 4 hours of walking and sipping on hot chocolates.

3. YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick #14 Rouge Feu ($30 USD): In the tube, this lipstick looks like a classic blue-based red. But on my skin tone, it looks more like a tomato red. I don't feel comfortable with this shade unless I'm really tan as I tend to go for deeper reds. This would be a beauty on women with an olive skin tone. 

4. YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick #8 Belle De Rose ($30 USD): I love that this red has a more berry undertone than plum. It's a stunner. I have a lot of deep reds that look more burgundy and Belle De Rose is exactly what I've been looking for. In person, it's much deeper and richer than the swatch. I don't need much makeup with this shade. It instantly perks you up. Just add a neutral shadow, a little colour on the cheeks and this lip and I'm ready for a night out. For the day, dab into the lips as a stain.

Have you tried Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick from YSL? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Want 'em? Stay tuned for more lipstick features!


Products were sent for editorial consideration.

1 comment:

Caitlin Cardin said...

The YSL lipsticks are amazing! I have about 10 different colors in my stash...long lasting and won't cake. I highly recommend!