Sunday, May 27, 2007

Toronto Week of Style Part 1


Last night's show was the finale of the first ever Toronto Week of Style. From Wednesday to Saturday there was a series of 6 fashion shows featuring designers from all over the world. I'm a huge supporter of Canadian talent especially because there are so many undiscovered talents out here. While I thought the Toronto Week of Style was a great concept did it prove to me that Toronto has style? Here's my thoughts on this weeks shows:

Bambumoda was the first fashion show that launched the Toronto Week of Style and was held in the beautiful Arcadian Court in the Simpson Tower. The room is very grand and elegant which led me to believe that we were going to be in for a spectacular show. The turnout was about 350 people (so I was told) as opposed to the 700 that rsvp'd, however, it seemed like there was about a hundred people tops. The purpose of the show was to give a forecast of the trends we will be seeing and wearing in the next several years. Five designers were featured: Lifetime Clothing, Mehnaz, Obey, Artful Dodger, and Mooks. Celebrity models were Billy Hamilton of Silverstein, Simon Mohos from YTV, Rob Dyer from Skate4Cancer (Week of Style Homepage has it as Skate4Canada - error??) and Husein Madhavji from Star Daily (the only one I recognized).There were Indian inspired pieces, artful urban wear, and indie rock outfits. I thought some of the clothes were pretty cool and definitely wearable. I loved the graphic tees and thought the artwork was amazing. The Indian inspired pieces were beautiful as well. However, the trends featured aren't all that different than what's out right now. Because of all the hype, I was expecting a lot more. On the plus side, I'm glad I got the chance to see some of the smaller but up-and-coming brands out there since I live in the bubble of mainstream fashion.

Stay tuned for Part 2 and 3 of my review of Toronto Week of Style! To view more photos from the show check out Bambumoda on Facebook!

No comments: